Tuesday 30 October 2012

grenade

After numerous attempts of designing a grenade following Rob's instructions in class and losing them all because my computer crashed about 3 times...:(  a week later, following a tutorial from Badking's website, I have managed to save 2 images of intermediary stages of the grenade. Of course, there is a lot more to work to go into it, but everything I have saved is in Zbrush (college version), while the one I have at home is a slightly older one, so cannot carry on from where I have left it...



To get to this stage, I have started with a Sphere 3D and once I have selected it from the Tool menu on the right hand side of the screen, I have clicked T (shortcut for Edit), and also Make Polymesh 3D (top right hand side of the screen in the tool menu), in order to be able to start modelling. That allows the Sphere to be modified, which is what I will do next. Next, I have selected the Move Elastic Brush from the brush menu ( BME as a shortcut), increased the draw size by clicking and dragging the button "Draw Size" from the top of the canvas. I have shaped my Sphere into an egg shape and then using Masking (pressing CTRL outside my model and creating a rectangular selection by dragging the mouse or pen if using a Graphics Tablet), I have drawn 5 parallel lines onto my shape. I have then inverted my selection by clicking on the canvas outside my model. I have then used the Inflate balloon Tool from the menu on the right. This inflate tool can be found in the Deformation Submenu. this is how I have managed to create the grenade-like texture. 
I have then appended a cube from the Tool menu on the right hand side and again, using deformation, I have made my cube a lot thinner by clicking and dragging the mouse with the Size selected in the Deformation submenu on right. 



In order to cut the side of my Square shape appended, I have selected the Cube Subtool, and then selected the Clip Curve brush in the Brush palette. By clicking and dragging the mouse from top to bottom of the screen, I have cut part of my shape off. If i would have clicked and dragged the mouse from bottom to top, I would have cut the other side of muy shape, leaving just a small triangular shape. So it's very important to check where is the shadow cast by the Clip Curve Brush when dragging the mouse onto the model. After cutting it, I have used the Move option on the menu above the canvas to move this new object slightly inside the grenade. ...
...This is as far as I got in class ,but will update with a new grenade designed in my personal version of ZBrush...

No comments:

Post a Comment