Thursday 15 November 2012

cart wheel

For my next model, I have chosen a cart wheel. This is another element present in my environment concept art piece, and that's where I have taken inspiration for my objects as I am trying to follow through with my theme, and try to transpose my 2D drawing into a 3D environment.




For first step in creating the cart wheel,  I have chosen a cylinder 3D from the Tool menu on the right hand side and played with the Inner radius in the Initialize ( Subtool menu), at the bottom right hand side of the canvas. For this model, I have selected the Inner radius size:86, and Z size:6, X and Y size:100. This has basically cut the inside of my cylinder, getting me to this ring shape that I have in my picture above.



After appending a second Cylinder 3D I have reduced it in size by going into Deformation on the right hand side, selecting size and dragging the mouse or pen on the Graphics tablet to reduce the size, I have placed it in the centre of my original ring. this is the inner part of my cart wheel.  I have then appended a third cylinder 3D to go inside the last one and followed the same steps as for the first one. 
I have then applied a wooden texture to the two outer layers and a metallic one to the most inner one.( by selecting Mrgb on top of the canvas, and choosing Mat Cap Sculpy for the outer 2 layers, and Metal for the inner layer.)


For the outer metal layer, I have duplicated the first wheel subtool and cut the thickness of it with the Clip Curve Circle from the brush palette, and added a metallic texture to it ( I have selected MRGB again and chose a metallic material). Using Clip Curve brush from the brush palette and with the symmetry activated ( if you open Transform in the top menu bar, and select Activate Symmetry) in order to cut a uniform slice of the circle , I have cut a little bit off the sides of the outer metal layer.


For the Spoke, I have selected first chosen another cylinder 3D from the tool menu, and reshaped it by going into Deformation  and choosing  size. I then worked Solo on it, to give it quite a lot of detail and make it look as realistic as possible. I have used various brushes: Damn standard, clay buildup, to give it the uneven, wavy shape and also used the Clip Curve brush to cut some bits off.
This is as far as I got in class, but I intend to finish it off in the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment